Home and Community Care Digest
Methods: This article is part of a guide to knowledge exchange resources arranged by the CHSRF foundation to assist applicants for research funding and to help decision makers and researchers incorporate knowledge exchange into their work.
Findings: Members of a research team are encouraged to
complete the following actions in order to achieve an effective
- Project overview: The research project and objectives
should be identified. The motivation of the research in the current
environment should also be recognized.
- Dissemination goals: The short-term and long-term goals
for disseminating the research results should be
- Target audience: The groups to which the research
results are to be communicated should be identified. In some
instances, it is possible to have primary and secondary
- Key messages: In the initial dissemination plan, a broad
scope of the content is adequate. It is also important that the
message clearly explains to the target audiences the research
results, their relevance and further steps to be taken.
- Sources/messengers: Influential messengers for each of
the target audiences should be identified and mobilized to help
spread the messages to be communicated.
- Dissemination activities, tools, timing and
responsibilities: The success of the dissemination plan will
depend largely on the activities planned to convey the messages to
each target audience. Activities such as face-to-face meetings and
briefings may be effective in promoting a two-way dialogue between
the researchers and the decision makers in each of the target
- Budget: All resources and planning for the dissemination
activities should be taken into account to ensure that the time and
budget requirements are not underestimated.
- Evaluation: Measurable criteria to rate the success of the research team's dissemination efforts should be carefully selected in order to effectively evaluate each dissemination activity.
Conclusions: Completing the eight steps above would help to ensure the development of a successful dissemination plan.
References: Communication Notes - Developing a dissemination plan. Canadian Health Services Research Foundation. www.chsrf.ca
Be the first to comment on this!
Personal Subscriber? Sign In
Note: Please enter a display name. Your email address will not be publically displayed