Ontario government urging doctors to cut back on virtual visits as COVID-19 pressure diminishes
2021-10-14 from thelglobeandmail.com
Ontario’s top health officials are urging the province’s physicians to resume more in-person visits and cut back on virtual appointments, which became more common under COVID-19 safety protocols.
In a joint letter sent Wednesday to around 45,000 doctors, three health officials said they expect that all physicians are now providing in-person care. The letter was signed by Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Kieran Moore; Patrick Dicerni, an assistant deputy minister of the Ontario Health Insurance Plan at the Ministry of Health; and Nancy Whitmore, registrar and chief executive officer of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
While virtual visits were encouraged earlier in the pandemic, the “pressures” on the health care system – such as a lack of personal protective equipment and the severity of COVID-19 cases – have since diminished, the letter says.
Read more here