Canadian Certified Physician Executive (CCPE) Credential inaugural cohort
PHYSICIANS LEADING THE WAY!
Just one year ago, the Canadian Medical Association (CMA) and the Canadian Society of Physician Executives (CSPE) announced the launch of the Canadian Certified Physician Executive (CCPE) Credential – the first national standards-based assessment for physicians in leadership roles.
The level of interest and momentum generated has surpassed expectations in the inaugural year. The first cohort of 29 recipients were recently recognized during the 2011 Canadian Conference on Physician Leadership in Vancouver. Representing many parts of Canada, both large and small health care organizations, university (academic) centres and the military alike, this illustrious group has set the bar very high. Meet the inaugural group of CCPEs:
- Dr. Hussam Azzam, VP Medical Service/Regional Chief of Medical Staff, Burntwood Regional Health Authority, Thompson, Man.
- Dr. Jack Barkin, Chief of Staff, Humber River Regional Hospital, Toronto
- Dr. David Butcher, VP Medicine and Clinical Programs, Northern Health Authority, Prince George, BC
- Dr. Adam Cwinn, Head, Emergency Department, The Ottawa Hospital
- Dr. Michel Deilgat, Lieutenant-Colonel/Flight Surgeon/Medical Officer, Canadian Forces Health Services
- Dr. Joy Dobson, Senior Medical Officer, Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region
- Dr. Serge Dubé, Associate Dean, Professoral Affairs, Université de Montréal
- Dr. Gary Garber, Head, Division of Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital
- Dr. Owen Heisler, Edmonton Zone Medical Director, Alberta Health Services
- Dr. Gary Ing, Chief of Staff, Windsor Regional Hospital, Windsor, Ont.
- Dr. Peter Kuling, Lead Physician, The Ottawa Hospital Academic Family Health Team
- Dr. Martin Lees, Former VP, Chief Medical Executive and Chair Medical Advisory Committee, Royal Victoria Hospital, Barrie, Ont.
- Dr. Shaun MacCormick, Chief of Staff/Medical Director, Colchester East Hants Health Authority, Truro, NS
- Dr. Nancy Merrow, Chief of Staff and Palliative Care Medical Director, Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket, Ont.
- Dr. Cheri Nijssen-Jordan, Senior Medical Director, Transformation Improvement Project, Alberta Health Services, Calgary
- Dr. Malcolm Ogborn, Associate Vice President, Research (Health) University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, BC
- Dr. John Sampson, Assistant Medical Director, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Charlottetown
- Dr. Ernst Schuster, Associate Zone Medical Director and Medical Director, Primary Care, Edmonton Zone, Alberta Health Services
- Dr. Sandip SenGupta, Medical Director, Clinical Laboratory Services and Deputy Head, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Kingston General Hospital and Hotel Dieu Hospital, Kingston, Ont.
- Dr. Ashok Sharma, Joint Chief of Staff, Grand River Hospital Corporation and St. Mary's General Hospital (Kitchener), Burlington, Ont.
- Dr. Dorothy Shaw, Senior Associate Dean, Professional Affairs, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver (on 1-year administrative leave)
- Dr. Guruswamy Sridhar, Medical Director, Sleep Clinic, Regina General Hospital, and President, Saskatchewan Medical Association
- Dr. Becky Temple, Medical Director, Northeastern Region, Northern Health Authority, Fort St. John, BC
- Dr. Murray Treloar, Chief of Staff, Lakeridge Health Corporation, Oshawa, Ont.
- Dr. Martin Vogel, VP, Community Building, CMA, former Executive Director, Saskatchewan Medical Association, member, CSPE Board, Ottawa
- Dr. Christina Vuksic, Senior Medical Officer, Regina Qu'Appelle Heath Region, Fort Qu'Appelle, Sask.
- Dr. Martin Wale, Executive Medical Director, Quality, Research and Patient Safety, Vancouver Island Health Authority, Victoria
- Dr. Nancy Whitmore, Chief of Staff/VP Medical Affairs, St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital, St. Thomas, Ont.
- Dr. Homer Yang, Head of Anesthesiology, The Ottawa Hospital
With the pilot completed and the important milestone of awarding the first designations achieved, program improvements are underway and preparations are being made to receive the next group of physician applicants.
Who will comprise our next cohort?
hysicians in good standing with active CMA and CSPE memberships are encouraged to examine the revised CCPE eligibility criteria and apply by the deadline of October 31, 2011.
For more information, go to cma.ca/ccpe or call the CCPE Secretariat today at 613 731-8610 / 800 663-7336 ext. 2070.
Please note: the next call for applications will occur in early summer and the deadline to apply will be October 31, 2011.