CHIMA Announces 2012 - 2013 Board of Directors
(London, ON): CHIMA (Canadian Health Information Management Association) is pleased to announce its new Board of Directors for 2012-2013.
"We are thrilled to welcome Dr. Candace Gibson as CHIMA’s new Chair of the Board," said Gail Crook, CEO and Registrar of CHIMA. “Candace’s knowledge, background and experience will be critical as we move forward to raise the profile of the HIM™ profession during this exciting time of change as we move to an electronic health record.”
Candace is a well-respected leader in the field of health information management. She earned her Ph.D. in nutritional biochemistry in 1977 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA. She joined the Department of Pathology in the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry in London, ON in 1982 and her biomedical research encompassed major achievements in neurochemistry and neurodegenerative disorders. Dr. Gibson is the recipient of numerous provincial and national research grants, and of several awards recognizing her outstanding achievement as a university educator teaching to undergraduate baccalaureate, medical, nursing and dental students. A distinguished faculty member in the Department of Pathology, at Western University, Canada, Dr. Gibson served as a senator and has held a number of senior administrative appointments in the department and faculty. Candace also received her HIM™designation in 2008, and over the past decade she has been actively engaged in teaching and research in health communications, health informatics, health information management and leadership including the introduction of health informatics as a medical school elective, the health information management program in the Faculty of Health Sciences, and an interdisciplinary undergraduate health informatics program at Western. As a member of the Expert Advisory Group to the Information Technology Council of Canada, Gibson co-authored critical reports on e-health and HI/HIM human resources in Canada. She is also the author of over 70 highly influential publications in neuroscience, health communication and health information management.
“This is going to be an exciting and a rewarding year as the board continues to roll out the ‘new’ CHIMA and address the challenges of transforming the association to respond to the changes taking place in health care and in e-health,” said Dr. Gibson. “As we move forward into this brave new electronic world, the role of the HIM professional is even more critical and essential in the collection, use and protection of Canadian’s health information.”
CHIMA is also pleased to announce three new Board Directors:
- Nancy Haugen, CHIM – Vice Chair (BC), Supervisor, Patient Registration - South Okanagan, Princeton General and Vernon Jubilee Hospitals;
- Sharon Baigent, BA, CHIM (BC), Director, Records Management & Registration - Lion’s Gate Hospital
- William Pascal P.Eng, Certified Management Accountant (ON), Chief Technology Officer - Canadian Medical Association
Continuing to support the Board of Directors in 2012/13 are:
- Bojay Hansen, CHIM – Secretary Treasurer (ON), Decision Support Consultant - Peterborough Regional Health Center
- Val Alston, BA, MBA, CHIM – Past Chair (ON), Director, Health Information Management and Privacy Officer - Trillium Health Centre
- Bonnie Adamson, RN, BScN, MScN (Admin), CHE, FCCHSE, FACHE (ON), President, and CEO - London Health Sciences Centre
- Alona Burman, B.Sc. CHIM, RHIA (ON), Manager, Clinical Records and Privacy - West Park Healthcare Centre
- Akeela Jamal, MBA, CHE, CHIM (ON), Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement - Salumatics Inc.
- Gail Crook, CHE, CHIM Ex-Officio Member (ON), CEO and Registrar - CHIMA and CCHIM
For More Information, please contact:
Fiona Hill-Hinrichs, Director of Marketing and Communications
519.438.6700 ext 234 or Fiona.email@example.com
The Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA) is the national organization that represents leadership and excellence in health information management. CHIMA supports continuing education and professional practice of HIM™ professionals; develops strategic partnerships to advance the development and integration of electronic HIM™; and advocates for and strengthens the HIM™ role in health care settings across the continuum of care.