$130 billion:The amount Canada spent on healthcare in 2004. Of that amount 70% was public spending while the rest, or 30%, was private spending. In Britian, public spending accounted for 83% of all health spending, while the private sector assumed 17% of health costs. In the United States, the public portion of health spending was 45% while private spending accounted for 55%.
2.1: Number of physicians per 1,000 Canadians in 2003. The median for Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries is 2.9.
26%:The proportion of low income Canadians, in a comparative survey, who said they went without some healthcare services because of cost. The proportion in Britain, for the same survey, was 12%, while in the USA it was 57%.
7.5%: Expected increase in provincial healthcare spending in 2005-06. The average annual increase from 1997-98 was 7.4%.
$8,002: The average hospital inpatient cost of a knee replacement.
Date published: 12-05
NEWS FROM CANADA
Best Practices 2005: E-health Records
Vendor Consolidation: The Wait is Over
LATEST IN THE FIELD
Is There Interference in the Air?
Find Out What’s New and Happening at Canada Health Infoway
Fifth Annual Health Information Privacy and Security
Know. Learn. Implement. SUBSCRIBEto Longwoods eletter
Be the first to comment on this!
Personal Subscriber? Sign In
Note: Please enter a display name. Your email address will not be publically displayed